What to do with Old Bananas!
She was tired of throwing out her old bananas. Don’t get rid of those precious sweet things, as they can very easily be made into delicious Banana Bread. Great for snacks for school too. You may already know or have a favourite Banana Recipe of your own. But there maybe some like my friend who do not, so we thought we would share. Her question inspired us (meaning myself and my kids) to whip up a loaf yesterday. The picture is of my daughter Ella, now seven years old, licking the spatula afterwards. This of course,is a very important part of the process. Possibly even the most.
This is the first recipe my kids and I ever made together. They were only three, so it was rather ambitious, I now know. Ella was always in charge of flour. Quite a messy venture considering she is missing the clean gene. My son was in charge of smashing the bananas. My husband always stayed as far away as he could because the mess drove him a bit batty. He still seemed to appear when the final product popped hot out of the oven though …hmm.
I digress; back to the recipe. Ok, so what I suggest is that you take your old bananas. Yes, the black ones. Then freeze them until you have enough to make a loaf or two.
Here is our family banana bread recipe to share with you. Hope you enjoy and that it inspires you to make some with your family! Do you have an even Better Banana Bread Recipe? If so, we would love to hear from you!
Banana Bread (makes one loaf)
1 ½ cups of all purpose white flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
Optional: 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
½ cup of Butter (soft)
1 cup of brown sugar (or ½ brown sugar & ½ honey)
4 ripe bananas (smashed)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Grease a loaf pan with butter.
2. In a bowl combine: butter and brown sugar. Beat together well with a hand mixer.
3. Crack two eggs and combine until fluffy.
4. Mix together in a separate bowl: flour, baking soda and salt
5. Mix in with spatula: ½ of the dry ingredients and ½ of smashed bananas. Important not over mix.
6. Mix in remainder of dry ingredients and bananas. Remember not over mix (or your banana bread will not rise as well).
7. Mix in chocolate chips (optional).
8. Pour mixture in greased loaf pan.
9. Bake for 55-60 minutes.
Comments are closed.